Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My job

Well it finally happened I got a regular shift on the maternity floor!! I'm going to have 30 hours a week scheduled all the time now, and I'll get health benefits, sick time payed vacation and all the wonderful things that come with an actual position instead of being supplemental. I just wanted to mention how much I love my job. I love helping deliver babies!! Some nights when I have patients that I really bond with it doesn't even feel like work!! Over the last month I've actually delivered 3 babies before the doctor even got to the room! The patient tells me they are having some pressure and I go to check them and the baby is crowning!! A few nights ago my patient couldn't feel anything at all, she was complete, but didn't feel where to push so we turned off the epidural to let it wear off. I kept checking under the sheet to make sure the baby wasn't crowning! Sure enough my patient still couldn't feel pressure, but I looked under the sheet and... there was the baby's head! The doctor made it for after the head was out, but he just let me finish delivering the baby anyway. Really I think I have the best job in the world!!

6 comments:

Jennifer (Niffer) said...

congrats beth! love ya babe!
sonja
niffer
steff
and all of us!

Andy & Jen said...

WONDERFUL!!!! I am so happy for u : ) I love delivering babies, I always get so emotional afterwards. I know you are fabulous RN

sarah jean said...

beth i just miss you and your er stories!! if i ever get married and then ever get preggo i for sure want you to deliver it!!

Jen and Joel said...

Oh fun. I know that I already told you this...but congrats on the job. If I ever get pregnant again, I think I might consider delivering at Holy Family.

thefrommfam said...

Holy Freaking Cow! That is so cool that you got to deliver babies Beth. You are a rock star! Maybe nine months from now you will be delivering my baby :)

becca olsen said...

That's awesome! How cool that you have delivered Babies! All the mom's who have you as a nurse are so lucky!