Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Trek



This week I was blessed with the opportunity to go on the "pioneer trek" with the kids from church. I part of the medical personnel to help keep the kids safe in this endeavor. For those of you who aren't familiar with what this is, its a 3 day trip where the kids (14-18 year old) are broken down into families and do what those who came west did before there were trains, plains and automobiles! So they cooked thier food in dutch ovens over coals and pulled a hand cart 18-20 miles in the 3 days. The adults stood back and watched the kids work out their own issues and struggles. It was really a great experience. The very best part of the trip was the "woman's pull." At one point when the pioneers were heading west the US military asked the men to put together an army to help the country defend the southern states so the women were on their own for a while on the journey. For this all the guys and the male leaders were taken up to a hill and talked to about how important it is for them to provide, preside and protect their families . It was basically a talk about stepping up to the plate and being a man! Meanwhile the women were left to pull heavy carts up one of the steepest areas on the trek. There were only 4-5 of us per cart (each family usually had 8-9 people pulling and pushing). I was able to help with this part and it was so wonderful to watch these strong young women work together to get these carts up the huge hill, where the young men were watching and unable to assist. As we turned the corner on one the hardest spots the guys all got up and started cheering us on. It was just such a wonderful experience, it brought me to tears!! Its hard to portray the feelings I had with words, it truly was one of the best experiences of my life and I can only hope the kids all felt that same spirit I know that I felt as we worked and struggled together!

3 comments:

Jen and Joel said...

I am so glad that you were able to go. I heard that it was amazing. It is amazing to think that they did that for such a long period of time. Wish there was a picture of you and your outfit on this blog.

emy said...

Sounds like it was a very spiritual experience. I'm glad you got to go. I'm sure you were a major help for the women's pull.

Ashley said...

That is so great you got to go! I've always wanted to be a part of that. Our young just it and it sounds like a wonderful, testimony building experience!